Re: Re: Grandmother v granmother

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 02 Jul 2006 23:52:30 GMT

In message <20060702091433.92169.qmail_at_...> Gavain Sweetman writes:

>Plus also you are usually introduced as Father John when first
>meeting a priest. Thereafter you use the honorific Father. There
>is rarely any confusion in catholic families which father is meant.
>The only confusion comes from outsiders who perhaps don't know you
>are catholic.

Or who don't know the much about the RC church, or whose first language is not English.

>In conversation I'm sure that Esrolians would talk about "...my
>grandmother Dorenda...", meaning mother of my parent and would say
>"...Grandmother Orenda.." meaning the village elder. Again the
>only confusion will be to outsiders, and those that want to have
>long term good relations with Esrolians would have to have some
>knowledge of their customs to make sure they aren't making some
>big mistake.

You reckon the average Lunar is going to bother learning the language and culture of a bunch of barbarians?

"There's no communication problem which can't be solved by speaking slowly and loudly in New Pelorian. After all the Goddess gave us the language so we could all communicate clearly so if the barbarian doesn't understand us it's either stupidity or malice".

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/