Re: Thunder Rebels

From: Julian Lord <julian.lord_at_...>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 22:19:31 +0100

John Hughes :

> There's been some discussion about possible bias. Graeme thought the
> perceived imbalances would disappear once we have Storm Tribe. I think that
> will be the case.

I disagree : but then again, I believe that the bias is a feature, not a handicap. Start thinking HW guys ; not RQ5 !!

> It would be nice if we had everything published all at once for the
> Heortlings and for all of Glorantha, but we all know that's not possible and
> the reasons why.

Well, that's what Multisim would like to do with the Heortling material, AFAIK.

> "With courage, a man can do whatever a woman does; with heart and training,
> a woman can be the equal of any man...."

" ... better than ... " shurely ... ? ;-)

> Now for a woman to join Vinga is like joining Orlanth Adventurous. Vinga is
> a Thunder Brother, and anyone who has undergone Vinga initiation can join
> *any* Orlanth subcult. For "men only" read "men and initiated Vingans only."

Well, among the Heortlings, anyway.

Other Theyalans have different ideas.

> There are also gateways into Ernalda for men. The descriptions of Nandan
> expressed on various Gloranthan lists over the last twelve months ain't
> necessarily Issaries view *or* the final version.

Yeah : I am *very* glad to see that Nandan has been done sensibly !

> I personally believe that Heortling society is extremely egalitarian, and in
> my contributions to Thunder Rebels was very conscious of this.

I disagree : I believe that Heortling society is strictly biased, but that there are a few exceptions through which frustrations can be vented (in a positive way, or not : Vinga vs. Malia frinstance).

> I hope that in a few month's time, when we have Storm Tribe, any seeming
> imbalances will be seen purely as an artefact of publishing schedules.

Actually, I doubt it. While I think that it's poetically courageous of Greg & co to have highlighted the real (or/and mythic) differences between man and woman, I am however doubtful that these will be handily resolved by a future HW supplement.

Julian Lord