Re: Re: Household Goddesses

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 13:36:18 GMT

In message <e8i59g+tu09_at_...> "ishldgetoutmore" writes:

>Hmmm... I'm trying to understand the mythic role a devotee of Arnna
>(assuming such a hero) would have in the clan. Would it be a largely
>ritual role? The Harst would account for the goods and keep track of
>expenditures versus income, while warriors would guard the stores.
>Would the Arnna devotee be responsible for "attracting" or "growing"
>the wealth in the first place? Is she the "strongbox" or "vault"? Does
>she merely hold the "keys to wealth"?

I rather think Arnna keeps stuff Harst doesn't know about. Not the main clan resources but bits and pieces that individual families put to one side for the future. This has probably increased significantly since the Lunar occupation since it is the reeve who the Lunars use to determine clan taxes.

To an extent we are dealing with overlapping functions here. Both the Storm Tribe and the Earth Tribe have gods/goddesses for every function. One clan usually appoints a follower of Harst as reeve while another appoints a follower of Arnna and a third switches depending on who is available. Only a really hidebound clan would insist on a woman reeve being Vinga Harst or a male reeve being Nandan Arnna.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/