Re: Harst, grandmothers

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 19:22:15 -0000

Donald Oddy
>>Which is contradicted by Thunder Rebels pg. 233: "Harst the Reeve is
the Collector and Dispenser." Then: "He receives all the taxes of Orlanth's followers and all the extras that each stead produces and then distributes them where the chief
directs."<<

In Red Cow Redalanora Table-Turn, the reeve, is not actually a Harst worshipper, but an Asrelian grandmother, who ensures that all the clans taxes are safely stored for next year's harvest. Of course as an Asrelian she is a bit more grasping and un-inclined to dispense than a Harst worshipper might be, which causes much grumbling throughout the clan.

We have tended to see the reeve as the unpopular tax collecter, or even landlord figure, who comes round to ask for the clan's due. As Donald says it saves the poor chieftain from having to besmirch his Orlanthi virtues of generosity by becoming a grasping hand. I suspect the chieftain is often involved in the dispensing, keen to prove his credentials as a ring-giver of course, and may often be in conflict with his reeve who tells him that they cannot afford to be so generous.

Some of our steads have reeve's too, whose job is to gather the taxes to pay to the clan reeve each year, and take from the clan's stores the stead's portion.

Jane mentions Vela. One thing that emerges for us in Red Cow is that the Velan matchmaker is a very important figure. She travels widely among other to find suitable husbands and tout the clan's daughters, so she is one of the first to be consulted when the clan wants to know the measure of its neighbours. Her actions help to cement the alliances between the clans, so she is an important voice in peace weaving. She keeps company with chieftains and the ring, and maybe even kings. Don't underestimate the Velan matchmaker .

Ian Cooper