Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 17:09:28 -0700

Jeff

>I suspect that things were very similar for the Ralian survivors -
>they knew their ancestral protector, or their spirit-animal, or the
>sacred ancestral place that protected them from the doom of the
>world, but they had effectively lost their culture and religion.
>Until the Theyalan missionaries came and sang them the missionary
>song. Who knows, maybe they knew one verse in twenty one?

My take is that a significant number of Ralian natives were sort of preadapted to Orlanth and Ernalda worship, probably for a variety of reasons (e.g. they worshipped a killing storm, they had once worshipped Orlanth but lost this in the Darkness, their Earth goddess had traits similar to Ernalda, etc.).

Another case of preadaptation seems to be Umathela, where the land itself was the site of all sorts of God Time doings by storm gods. When people showed up, it was thus easier for them to contact the Storm Tribe than the Fire Tribe.

--

David Dunham