Re: Canon

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:32:36 +0100 (BST)

some excellent points - thanks. Snipping most of it...

> Canon has two distinct meanings.
> Its relevant dictionary usage refers to 'accepted
> meaning, a standard'.

> Its use in fandom circles, refers to works that have
> received the official imprimature, ...

> The former is de facto. The latter is de jure. More
> or less.

> Peter is talking about the first sense. And he is
> correct.

> Using the same term to mean two
> different things that probably should go together,
> but frequently
> don't, is only going to lead to confusion and
> circular arguments.

And I would point out here that we do have a term for the first sense: "GaG", short for Generally Accepted Glorantha. Unless I've totally misunderstood how that phrase has been used in the past, it seems to cover the meaning that Peter's using, and the one that's generally relevant for most of us for gaming purposes.

All new Yahoo! Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html