Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:07:05 -0000

Peter -

> If you are using Orlanthi as meaning the regular worship of Orlanth
> then neither were the Heortlings during the Great Darkness.

I think that is correct. Of course, during the depth of the Great Darkness, there were no Heortlings, just broken remnants of the Vingkotlings.

> The
> fact remains that the Talastings had Orlanthi customs which were
> recognizably Orlanthi and which were instrumental in their embrace
> of the missionary wisdom. Contrast this with the Ralians, most of
> whom didn't have such customs and they are supposed to have
> dropped everything and worshipped Orlanth?

Why are you so certain that most of the Ralians did not recognize some aspect of the missionary song? I rather strongly suspect that most of the Ralian bands recognized at least a stanza or two. Maybe it was the bit about transforming into animals in order to survive, or maybe it was the bit about the last tree standing. But like the Talastings, the Ralians recognized some bit of the missionary song.

Jeff