Re: Re: Ralian Orlanthi

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 23:30:43 +0100 (BST)

> > ?? Example: a timespan of the same duration as
> that of
> > the Darkness, as indicated first by numbers, then
> by
> > "what was happening then".
> .. and what religions died out around that
> period,

> Earth has had no equivalent of the Great Darkness in
> recorded
> history - which makes sense given that it is a
> mythological event,
> not a historical one. The closest approximation
> that I've come up
> with is a some sort of nuclear, biological,
> climatological
> catastrophe that manages to wipe out 99+% of the
> human species. And everything else as well.

True enough. Though I think we can take it that the amount of culture left after 1000 years of that sort of global catastrophe would be less than after 1000 years of recorded history, not more. So if the amount left after 1000 years of continuous civilisation is "next to none", that's telling us something.

hmm, there was the Flood, recorded in the histories of several civilisations, but that's a bit vague.