Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:53:09 -0700

YGWV Quoting Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>:

>> >Why would the Ralians (note well, that I referring
>> >to all Ralians and not just the highlanders) adopt the Orlanthi
>> >_pantheon_ in its entirety? The Talastari were Orlanthi since
>> >the Storm Age and so had good reason for adopting the Heortling
>> >rites but that's not true for over half the Ralians.
>>
>> At the Dawn, the Talastari could not be described as "Orlanthi"
>> until after they met with the Theyalan missionaries.
>
> If you are using Orlanthi as meaning the regular worship of Orlanth
> then neither were the Heortlings during the Great Darkness. The
> fact remains that the Talastings had Orlanthi customs which were
> recognizably Orlanthi and which were instrumental in their embrace
> of the missionary wisdom.

I'll throw half my pennies in with Peter here. Half. The Hagolings, anyway, were remnant storm worshippers, with a storm god (Hago) ancestor, etc.
Of course, it was not "regular worship," of course.

> Contrast this with the Ralians, most of
> whom didn't have such customs and they are supposed to have
> dropped everything and worshipped Orlanth?

Here's the other half:
The hsunchen didn't really have much to drop to worship Orlanth. They worshipped some ghosts, some demonic beings who were not entirely unfriendly, etc., but they didn't have much that would help them in the way that the Orlanthi religion did.
Finally, not everyone "dropped everything and worshipped Orlanth" even after the missionaries came. Many resisted this latest incursion, perhaps thinking it was just a passing thing, or that it was another form of opression, demons in disguise, etc. etc. Heck, I'd not be suprised to discover that some groups held out until Arkat returned to Ralios. I can see them dancing around, "See, we were right! The Darkness Storm at last!!"
Of course, the socieities that DID adopt the Orlanthi ways earliest got a significent leg up on the others who resisted or remained hiding. Those that did are the tribes we find in the First Age history, like the Galaninings, etc.

> --Peter Metcalfe
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford