Re: Orlanthi - Ralians, Talastari, oh my

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:25:25 -0700

YGWV Quoting Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>:

>> Of course, the socieities that DID adopt the Orlanthi ways earliest
>> got a significent leg up on the others who resisted or remained
>> hiding. Those that did are the tribes we find in the First Age
>> history, like the Galaninings, etc.
>
> I would have thought that the Galanini already had a leg-up of their
> own (through the worship of Hrelar Amali).

The Galanini didn't really get a significent advantage until they adopted agriculture, which came with the Heortlings.

> Jeff:
>
>> Yeah, I remember when we were figuring out First Age population
>> growth, adopting the Orlanthi ways (instead of worshipping ghosts,
>> and not entirely unfriendly demonic beings) made a huge difference
>> in your ability to grow and expand. No wonder Orlanth-embracing
>> tribes like the Galaninings ended up dominant.
>
> The trouble with this is that the Galanini are contacted rather late
> (130 ST) or so

I think this date is pretty good, though I'd like to check what is written. From whence this data, Peter?

> at which time they are already well-established.

Perhaps no more well established than others. Which was not very well, really. We must not mistake the later records of Ralios as having recorded everyone that existed at the earlier time.

> Moreover because of their location, I would have thought they
> have been invigorated by the pagan Seshnegi (or Tanisor) before
> the Missionaries found their way to them.

I do not think that the indigenous Pendali of the Tanisor Valley were any more advanced than the Galanini at, and after the Dawn.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford