Re: Orlanthi Prostitution

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 06:41:07 EST

In a message dated 13/02/01 11:26:09 GMT Standard Time, HeroWars_at_yahoogroups.com writes:

<< > Could be the case in the West, I'll grant you. Or in Dara Happa, come to
> that. It just doesn't sound Heortling though IMO.

 I find it difficult to believe that prostitution doesn't occur among the Heortlings - its far too pervasive in the real world for it not to occur. Certainly the permissiveness of our society has done nothing to stop the trade.

 Having said that, I agree with Trotsky that a small community cannot support such people. Especially if they are breaking taboos. They would either be confined to the larger, more urban centres, >>

     OK, yes, I'll grant you that. In Heortling cities, such as they are, the profession would probably exist.

<< In many cases clients would be those who were either unhappily married and willing to take the risk, or who were unable to form a relationship otherwise.

 As for divine retribution, in the real world prostitutes and their clients are more prone to a variety of nasty conditions, some of them effecting fertility. This hasn't stopped the trade, and would seem a direct parallel of the sort of retribution Ernalda especially might make.>>

     But it doesn't zap the entire community with bad consequences until the person is stopped, which is the way it works for Heortlings. That would be a much more serious problem.

Trotsky