Orlanth Heroquesting during OiD (was Re: New Law War?)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 10:16:39 -0700

> > Surely a GM would rule that during OiD that this
> > sort of
> > thing 'wouldn't work'. For example your all dressed
> > up, get onto the
> > heroplane and everyone looks like the deities they
> > are emulating
> > where as Branbrig is stood there looking like
> > Branbrig dressed as Orlanth??
> >
> > Or they find that Lunar HQ'ers are there waiing to
> > ambush them, or something else quite exotic?
> >
> > Darn, this is just the sort of thing a resourceful
> > group would think of doing! So, would it work?
>
> Hang on, we have evidence that it *does* work.
> Somehow. Voria returns because Kallyr does a HQ.
> Specifically, she does a LBQ. And by definition that
> was while Orlanth was Dead. So while I still have no
> idea how it works, it clearly does. I'm sure it's
> tough (even by LBQ standards), but it can be done.

First remember that all normal Orlanth HQs have Orlanth's Hall (Karulinoran) as their starting point. You do the cross to the Otherside ritual, and "appear" in Orlanth's hall, the appearance of which varies depending on the aspect you worship, and the age you are "going to" on your quest (See Thunder Rebels 138 for more detail). So you've appeared in Orlanth's hall, and you approach Orlanth and beg a boon of him, that he allow you to go to the [appropriate age] to do the [Heroquest]. Unless you really blow it, he graciously allows you to do so.
(This is for Worshippers of Orlanth, of course. An Elmali would end up in Elmal's Light Fort, Ernaldans would end up in the Loom House, etc, but I'm talking of Orlanth worshippers here.)

During the OiD period, the only door out of Karulinoran is into the "Late Chaos Age". Quests that take place while Orlanth is alive can't be done - you simply can't get to the appropriate age. So all those normal Orlanth quests (like Aroka) won't work. The LBQ *can* be done because it is a "Dead Orlanth" HQ.

Sidetrack: a typical Roderick analogy -
A God's Otherworld Home is kind of like a TV, where normally you can switch between channels ("Let's watch the Raiding channel, and see Finovan's Raids" "No, I want to see the Thundering Channel and watch the Capture of Yavor" "Ma! Harshax won't let me watch what *I* want to watch"). Each channel is analogous to the Doorways to the Heroplanes, where you step out of Orlanth's Hall and into the Solar Age, or Storm Age, etc. But during the OiD period, there is only one channel: the Orlanth is Dead and Gone to Hell Channel.

So when Orlanthi do their "Cross to the Otherside" rituals, they end up in Dead Orlanth's hall, and they can only go to the heroplanes of the great Darkness - they can't get to the Aroka era.

Another sidetrack...
Of course, the Lunars have a lot of hutzpah to actually think they can "kill" Orlanth, since he is well known to be self-resurrecting (via the LBQ), *and* things generally get better for Orlanthi when he gets back. Maybe they think they can control access to the LBQ paths and so prevent anyone from doing a LBQ, but then, Lokomoko couldnt...

RR
- Richelieu