Re: New Law War?

From: Santo Sengupta <s.santo.sengupta_at_...>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 17:03:11 -0400

Namaste Greg:

On 7/25/06, Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:
> > "The New Law War: Ancient deities
> > transform themselves to overcome grim foes that rise from the Deep
> > Mysteries."

> My thoughts in this start with that ancient rivalry between Kralorela
> and Teshnos that is still manifest as the serpent/elephant battle
> fought every year in the icy pass in the Shanshan Mountains. [And that
> illo on 202 of Glorantha is a bit embarrassing--it ought to be an
> Indian elephant of course, although possibly with long fur...]

Interesting. How many wars/occupations have their been between Teshnos and Kralorela? I could see that after the fall of the False Dragon Ring, that Kralorela would try to purge all foreign influences from their lands and even their neighbors.

As for the artwork - I found it charming. ;)

> > * I'm not sure where these New Laws are coming from. Perhaps they are
> > ways of foreigners, who have brought so much trouble to Teshnos
> > before.
>
> I was thinking that they would be new for that time and place, but
> actually are the oldest laws of the world which worshippers hope to
> reinstate to bring back the prehistoric bliss of their ancestors.

Are these Laws from the Green Age/Creation Cycle or Golden Age/Highgods Cycle?

> Although yes, of course, foreigners take the opportunity to meddle.

Indeed, in my game they already have, mostly in villianous ways - Kralori Exiles who follow the Gang of Four, and the various denizens of Demon Isle of Melib. The Lunar Missionaries who have shown up are of course meddling like mad, trying to get everyone involved to embrace Sedenya.

> > * What ancient deities?
>
> The Parloth.

I thought the Parloth's influence was primarily confined to Vithela. Are the Teshnan Five Fiery Forms and the various Gods of the Kralori's Celestial Bureaucracy considered to be Parloth?

It does seem that at some point during the various Cosmic Wars of the East that the lands of Aberzed and Kerandaruth became quite seperated from the rest of Vithela.

> > * Transformation into what? Will a new Fiery Form be revealed?
>
> They transform themselves into avatars.

Avatars like the King Pubnashap of Teshnos, the Light of Zitro Argon?

> Since the Chal entities will defend themselves as well as possible, a
> new fiery form may be revealed. Perhaps a form that (claims to)
> manifest the primeval consciousness that the Parloth avatars are
> trying to reinstate.

Okay, that fits in perfectly with my Lunar scheming. :)

> > * What are the nature of these Grim Foes? Are they the Ashurtans, the
> > Gachi, or other Antigod Races? Deep Mysteries suggests to me the
> > myths of Osdero and the sunken lands of Aberzed.

> The precise form of these Parloth avatars is up to the Narrator and
> his players. Or maybe for whomever writes the scenarios to be
> published by Moon Design.

What a tempting possibility. I have some ideas for these Avatars, but I'll see how things work out in the course of my game. It's quite possible/probably that the Heroes will try to hasten this process by going into the Hero/God planes and mucking about.

> Note that the weakening fabric of everyday reality also allows other
> entities to manifest, and these include a variety of the antigods as
> well, often masquerading as Parloth. It is a time of great deception
> and danger, and a testing of true sight, power and consciousness.

The Realization War is the trickiest one of them all, according to Mashunasan.

--
-Santo
"Aum Shanti Shanti Shantih."