Re: Heortlings: Sexist/Egalitarian?/Post Freudian Feminism 101

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:09:59 -0000

Gareth Martin wrote:

> I am exagerating for effect, but I hope this illustrates that the
> FACT of oppreesion is distinct from the ideology which justifies
> that oppression.

True in RW. However, I hope we can agree that this is a notion that Heortling society has probably not learned to express. I don't think that they have an awareness of 'ideology', for them Orlanth and Ernalda are 'truth'. As Melanie pointed out, we are not modelling a utopia, but a warts and all society.

>> Of interest to us is that many of these writers have turned to an
>> examination of myth to identify and reclaim powerful roles for
>> women
>> from myth and religion. For there we tend to find a celebration of
> > the mythic side of female sexuality.

>True, although personally I fell this is a methodological error, as
>I'm a pretty staunch materialist.

I thought you might be <g>. Part of my point here though is the usefulness of such material in game terms, because it is an analysis of the feminine principal in myth, when dealing with a myth-based gloranthan culture. But agreed, other view points do exist and people interested in the RW issues should look into them.

Anyway, I suggest if we want to continue this debate we head offlist /to the digest as they seem more appropriate forums. I would not want to put people off this list be diverting too much into philosphical debate.

Ian