Re: Re: Orlanth Heroquesting during OiD

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 21:55:41 +1200

At 09:31 PM 7/31/2006, you wrote:

>Me>Well, the question is pretty much open-ended. The
> >fourty-eighting parts that Roderick spoke of was when
> >Orlanth was cut to pieces by Wakboth (KoS p79)
> >which doesn't quite feel like a mystical enlightening
> >moment to me.

>I suppose that's just the difference between a
>positive/creative and a negative/destructive
>engagement with The Ultimate. Nietzche again -
>"That which does not kill me makes me stronger"
>(ok so maybe Orlanth died, but he got better).

Here's the relevant text:

         But when Orlanth sought to destroy it,
         Wakboth parried, with a simple stab he
         cut Orlanth into forty-eight pieces.  Any
         lesser god would have gone into all forty-
         nine pieces.  But as it was, Orlanth was
         barely able to blow out of there.

That said, I can see how this might prevent Orlanth from being Sevened even if it isn't a mystical awareness moment. The Rashoranic path requires the quester to be completely stripped of everything but here we see Orlanth at a similar moment and he fails to be completely broken down.

>As for sevening versus fourty-eighting, I think gods
>have more parts than mortals.

Yelm and Sedenya both have seven parts while Orlanthi Gods have 49, I think the 49 portions is really a different creation myth rather than numerical superiority.

--Peter Metcalfe