RE: Re: Avatar: the Last Airbender

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2006 09:24:14 -0500

>From: "markmohrfield" <markmohrfield_at_...>
>
>My own take on it would be to make each bending ability an affinity,
>but to make most of the feats rather broad, such as "Blast of Wind"
>rather than "Blow down Foe." Also, each bender (except Aang) has only
>one affinity, so while that affinity may have more feats than single
>Gloranthan affinity, a given character wouldn't necessarily have more
>feats than a Gloranthan character would.

Hmm. I'm starting to think that the original idea makes more sense now. Each bender is Devotee, and has several affinities that are, of course, broad. Feats are then essentially "power stunts" to use the old Marvel RPG terminology, meaning techniques inside the affinity that they can use without penalty. But the character can still do anything they like, just with the standard penalty for improvising.

So, yeah, I withdraw my previous objection to the notion.

Then instead of everybody but Aang being an exception, only Aang is an exception and only in that he has affinities from more than one element (which is only an exception in in-game terms). Not that it's important to stick to the rules in coming up with new ways to delineate magic, but simply that people who know the current theist rules can use this without learning more rules.

Mike