Re: Writing my first Lunar adventures - help?

From: CJ <cj_at_...>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 22:53:58 +0100

Thanks Jane--

I have now developed my ideas a little, and yes I see your point. I'm just keen to try something actually IN the Empire, so I am starting writing tomorrow. I am playing in the wonderful Blue Dog pbem and that has given me loads of ideas for city adventures, but I'm thinking of just giving my players pre-generated characters for this one off.

Maybe a tale involving a newly arrived Lunar administrator trying to deal with a little town which happens for mythic reasons to provide the best sparkling wines in all the Empire in its vineyards - the problem is that the Emperor wants ALL of it for his Extra-Full Moon Year party, or rather some Imperial Vintner does, and if the whole wine crop goes, so does the tax base? That seems like an amusing basis, and one I can work on...

Do the Lunars use Tax Farming? Would the administrator, or local noble be responsible for the tax if the populace can't pay? I might need to look that up. Then I jsut need a few more complications and a map, and a handful of local dignitaries to hand out, from the local Temples and people of import. A Lunar heavily guarded caravan with military escort can be three days off, and the previous administrators death can be suspicious.

Well at least I'm thinking about it now! I want to emphasise the differences between Imperial life and Heortling life. Might be very MGMV, but I thuink it will suit my players... And yes, the idea of using the Fish Rain adventure is excellent, I'll use that for local colour. Sadly I have never seen the UW Tarsh book, or i might use Tarsh, but I think I'll go for somewhere in the Heartlands...

What cults might one find in a small town? That I will need to think about... And Moonwine rings a bell, can anyone tell me more about it, or did I imagine it?

My second idea was a party of lunars crashing a moonboat on Valind''s Glacier, and an attempt to survive and get back to civilisation, after a magical disaster lets the moonboat go astray. Maybe the pilot dies of some strange curse? It would be a good way for them to play different lunar worshippers without having to worry about the Lunar society, but that rather defeats the object... Still, maybe something in that one too...

Cheers chaps!
cj x