Re: Re: Level of Power of Entities

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2006 17:06:24 -0700

> I have to admit, I'm with Jane on this one. If the rules can't model
> Harrek, they are lame. A lot of the sales pitch for the HW/HQ rules
> versus RQ was that HW/HQ _could_ scale across wide power levels.

Scale across, yes. But getting a "normal" person into god-killing range *should* be beyond the rules - *if* you can get Harrek those 6+ levels, then sure, he can take the Bear.

Just like Batman can't out-punch Superman under *normal* circumstances (he can out-gadget him, maybe out-think him, but out-punch a guy that can shift planets in their orbits? No).

> More importantly: If a narrator wants players to be proactive and
> develop plot by themselves, the players need some way to know what's
> necessary to accomplish their ultimate goals, even if those goals are
> ambitious, like "kill the god of slavery". A scalable rule set isn't
> the only way to accomplish that, but it's a way that requires little
> narrator handholding.

The players need to know the relative mastery difference (in general terms), and they need a way to make up the difference. It *shouldn't* be up to the GM to provide extra masteries, or lower the god's resistance, just because the players want it. God-killing is for things like the EWF, God Learners, or the Lunar Empire. It *shouldn't* be easy for a typical HQ heroband with people in the mid W1 to mid W2 level. It certainly shouldn't be easy for a single person.

Now, if you want to go Nic Hughes' route and have Harrek discover a secret to killing the bear, that's fine too. But even then, a Great Spirit *shouldn't* be a mere w4 resistance even under the best (for the hero) circumstances. Otherwise *everyone* would be doing it and white beraskins would be much more prevalent (Along with Orcus' Wand, and Thor's Hammer, and other D&D mythic weapons...

> > The difference in mastery levels. Just how did Harrek get 6+
> masteries through rituals/circumstances/backup?
>
> You know the rules better than I: If you say it's impossible, it's

I never said it was impossible, but certainly improbable. If you can find the bonuses for someone to get an additional 6 masteries, then great, he'll be able to do it no problem.

> impossible, and the rules are broken. I would have thought he could
> have done it through standard HQ mechanisms such as the following:

We don't know enough of *how* Harrek did it to make a judgement. We do know that he seems to have done it alone, and on his own, ruling out companions and community support bonuses.

Get him within a mastery of the Bear and he can take him, given hero points. Get him at mastery-parity and he can take him no problem, given hero points. Get him a mastery higher and it's not much of a contest. The rules support *that*. They don't say how to get him in range, though.

RR
- Richelieu