Heroes, Chaos and Rituals

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 02:59:40 -0000

I thought I'd post a little snippet from our Seattle Farmers campaign that illustrates a few rituals designed to be linked together to protect a community - and the lovely Gloranthan principle of heroquest synchronicity.:) Fwiw, the players are powerful Orlanthi magicians and warriors who have been recruited to protect the little village of Bullpen from the Chaos that has been vomiting from the Print over the winter of 1617.

    Korlmhy mapped out four rituals that would help us make it through the winter: Korlmhy would perform the rites of King Orvis to aid us against the scorpions of the Print, and then he would perform rites that would enable him to flood the Syphon's waters. Then we would perform a ceremony at Bullpen and hopefully summon forth our foe while aiding Korlmhy in flooding the Syphon and defeat our foes for the winter. Finally, Brenna would seek Rigsdal's aid in defending Bullpen for the rest of the winter.

       First we performed the Sacrifice Day rituals. Soon after the sacrifices, Korlmhy and Jorator traveled to King Ivanstaval of the Hustula to ask him for support in the planed ritual to flood the Syphon. Ivanstaval was originally dubious, but was swept up by Korlmhy's religious fever and offered him support.

       The rest of us defending Bullpen heard there was a warband to the west, and rode out to discover 60 Seshnegi warriors. We returned to the village. The Seshnegi assembled and sent out one of their magicians. He introduced himself as Ondrik the Aeoling, who served Lord-Captain Drothchar Strong-Arm, one of the lords of King Rikard. He said we had transgressed against the King's subjects. Leika asked if they considered scorpion men as their subjects. Ondrik said it was the theft of cattle, and asked if we would accept Rikard's justice. Leika said that Orlanth was the source of justice, and if Rikard wanted justice, he would have to beseech the High King of the Hendrikings. Ondrik rejected this, and said we would feel the wrath of King Rikard. We jeered back, offering them hunting rights in the Fossil Forest.

       After some time, Lord-Captain Drothchar, dressed in iron armor, rode forward, speaking in Seshnegi. Cholanth, our sage, translated: the Lord-Captain demanded that we accepted Rikard's authority. If we didn't, he would return with engines that would destroy the palisade, then kill everyone in the village and leave us on spikes. We reminded the Seshnegi that Orlanthi had a pretty good history fighting machines in this part of the world. The Seshnegi weren't willing to attack us on the spot, but vowed to return in the Spring.

       Brenna wanted to go help in the Orvis ritual, since he was descended from a star, but decided she had to remain faithful at her watch, acting as Rigsdal. Leika wanted to go as well, but Brenna convinced her that she was needed more to defend. She sent twenty of her band to help strengthen the ritual.

       The group travelled to Midrue, a small village in Orvistula famous for its ancient royal Garanvuli burial mounds - the most famous being the mound of King Orvis. They crossed over from Orlanth's Hall into the Chaos Age, avoiding sundry dangers and defeating others, and found themselves at a sad little settlement between the Syphon and Solthi rivers, named Seriasdova. The villagers bore the tattoos of the Garanvuli. Korlmhy showed off his tattoos, and recited his genealogical descent from Orvis. They acknowledged King Orvis as their guardian, and gave what hospitality they could. They asked Korlmhy to protect them. After the meager feast there was a hue and cry. There were horse-riding raiders, apparently another group of Vingkotlings, Orgorvaltes from Ulaninstead. King Darvaran, whom Cholanth recalled from the Durengard Scrolls, led them. Cholanth pointed out out that Orvis was also descended from the Jorganostelli, and therefore had a better claim to Vingkot's kingship. However, Korlmhy impressed Darvaran with his powerful claim, and gave him gifts.

[As a result of his complete success in showing his connection to
the Garanvuli kings, Korlmhy gets a +7 bonus to his Storm Voice feat]

       There was a cry and hue that the Warlords of the Darkness Tribe had come to conquer Seriasdova and make everyone slaves. Herger quickly set up an ambush, then leaped out and threatened their women. They fled in terror.

[As a result of his compete success in defeating the trolls, Herger
gets a new feat – Resist Darkness at 5M]

       From Ginjjii came a great scorpion demon, spraying gouts of venom that killed man, plant and rock. Herger and his warriors rushed it, and hit it hard. Herger simply ignored the pain of the corrosive venom and ran underneath it, slashing it open so that its innards fell out.

       The Garanvuli renewed their acclaim of Korlmhy as King Orvis and promised to support him against the demons of Ginjii.

[As a result of the success heroquest, the Guardian of the Reaching
Storm gets a temporary feat of Resist Scorpion Venom of 10M3 – the feat will last until Sacred Time].

       Meanwhile, about 125 scorpion men attacked Bullpen. Leika led the main force, while Brenna led the horsemen. The leader of the scorpion men distracted Brenna with its oddly hypnotic orange round head. Brenna rushed it anyway, and had almost defeated it when she got too close. When Brenna dropped her spear, it tried to attack Sassy, which drove Brenna to new acts of bravery. After a fierce fight, Brenna realized she had been weakened too much from its venom. She decided to lure it away from the battle, taunting it until it had lost contact with the scorpion man horde it was supposed to be leading. Brenna then galloped back.

       That group still outnumbered our folk. After losing a few warriors, Leika's group retreated in good order.