RE: Re: Orlanthi Prostitution

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 11:49:28 -0000

> Having said that, I agree with Trotsky that a small community cannot
> support such people. Especially if they are breaking taboos.

An interesting example occurs in the David Gemmel se4ries, umm, sword in the storm, hawk in shadow? Anyway, this is a very celtic society confronted by a Rome equivalent ("Stone") as part of Gemmels multiverse construction. They are pretty good I think, and used the convention of the "Earth Maiden" as the village prostitute/earth priestess. This sounds like a plausible arrangement to me. Prsotitution is often tied up with religious institutions, which sometimes serves to declare the act holy rather than profane, and thus not a challenge to marriage vows.