Re: Banning Orlanth

From: Nick_Brooke_at_...
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 15:38:35 GMT

David B asks:

> Anybody have any idea what year the Orlanth cult
> was banned in Sartar?

I was surprised to read this in "Thunder Rebels," I must admit.

I suspect that *some* aspects of Orlanthi worship were banned (e.g. tribal "weapontakes"), and the Empire's targetting of the Hill of Orlanth Victorious (a remote hilltop, not a tribal population centre) can fit this pattern.

I really don't understand how the Lunars could "ban the cult". Ban mass worship gatherings, ban specific holders of specific ritual positions, etc. -- OK, you can do that. But *prohibit* membership of the religion followed by "85%" of the adult male population, on pain of crucifixion? I think this is exaggerated...

Remember, they didn't even ban the Storm Bull cult in Sartar until Starbrow's Rebellion!

So I'll wait to see what further details come up in future HW releases.

Cheers, Nick