RE: Re: Orlanthi Prostitution

From: Gareth Martin <gamartin_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 12:48:06 -0000

> But it doesn't zap the entire community with bad
> consequences until the
> person is stopped, which is the way it works for Heortlings.
> That would be a
> much more serious problem.

Why assume that prostitution is something seen mythologically as negative? The temple of Astarte, IIRC, maintained temple prostitutes as a "public service". Regardless of what we may feel about the morality of this, I don't think there is any reason to assume that such behaviour would be frowned on by the gods. Prostitution as a social evil is more a feauture of societies which forbid or heavily restrict divorce, abortion, or otherwise exert social control on reproductive freedom. Heortlings, IIRC, are pretty relaxed about these issues and I would not really expect them to get all that excited about it; in fact if some sort of ritual sex (almost certainly between non-married and temporary partners) were not going in Ernald's rituals, I'd be very surprised.