Re: Mythic Russia yahoo group

From: Mark Galeotti <markgaleotti_at_...>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 19:02:35 -0000

I don't know about Rick, but to the best of my knowledge you've not actually bothered to ask me direct; if you had, I would have been perfectly happy to tell you the situation. As is, let me make you and the rest of the list feel special -- even though I do find the snarky tone you adopt rather disappointing.

Mythic Russia has been printed. Heroically, Rick carried an advance batch with him to Continuum in his luggage, albeit instead of the 40 hardbacks promised by the printers in the batch, only 10 showed. All those attending the con who had pre-ordered the softback received theirs, while those who had ordered the hardbacks graciously chose not to accept the option of a softback and a partial refund and were graciously willing to wait for their (very pretty) hardbacks, so that I could use them to reward people who had played a substantive role in the game's development and promotion.

North American pre-orders ought, I hope, to be mailed out in the next week. The bulk of the books are slowly making their way across the Atlantic. Alas, as a small publisher with a small print run, not for the Firebird the luxury of a designated container and fixed shipping slot. Instead, they are part of a consolidated load which waits until the container is full, takes the next free slot, etc. I honestly have no idea when they will reach the UK -- hopefully 2 weeks time, but it could be several more. (Rumour -- I hope groundless -- also has it that the current security state in the UK might make the customs queue even slower.)

As soon as they are in the UK, I will mail out all the remaining preorders  as well and send books to those shops which have ordered direct from me. Esdevium distributors will also be sending out books to those shops ordering through them, instead.

So that's the situation. In the mean time, if anyone who does have the book wants to comment here, that would be great, while you can order from me direct (see http://www.firebirdproductions. com/ordering.htm) or get your games shop to order direct from me or through Esdevium. There is a small number of softbacks Tradetalk also picked up at Continuum, as John has noted.

I trust you feel more enlightened now, and am glad to share this info with everyone on this list. That said, though, I do feel the rather snarky tone of the enquiry a little depressing. Trust me, the life of a small publisher is hardly an easy one, let alone an especially lucrative. Books are released as soon as they can be released.

Anyway, I hope this makes it easier for you to get enthused. And peace in the Middle East must be just around the corner.

All the best

Mark