RE: Heortlings: Sexist/Egalitarian?

From: Richard, Jeff <jeff.richard_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 08:09:06 -0800

John said:
> This is what I mean when I say that Heortling society is
> egalitarian. Some
> other criteria to consider:
>
> Social structure is egalitarian, and gender roles are not
> associated with
> superior or inferior status.

John's post contained an excellent summary of Heortling gender attitudes. Naturally I could bring up crankier aspects of Heortling gender relations (such as the key role women play in demanding vengeance and maintaining feuds) - however, that does not play against this Heortling egalitarianism. The key issue is this is how the Heortlings themselves tend to view the issue.

Although it appears that many on this list are fond of the scribblings of Michel Focault and company (not to mention a brave post harkening back to Freud) - I really don't see the utility in applying modern theories of social and gender criticism to a discussion of a fine ROLE PLAYING GAME supplement. As it is, it seems this is little more than a tired (tirade?) Leftist critical analysis of John's, Greg's and Roderick's writings about the Heortlings.

Now maybe if the fans of Focault scribbling want to say that perhaps an illuminated missionary might make a similar critique of Orlanthi society to various Ernaldan priestesses who are inclined towards the Lunar Way in the first place, I might find this a little more interesting. Not to mention, a heck of a lot more relevant.

Jeff