Re: Anyone like to Review Mongoose's Runquest?

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:54:47 +0100

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:58:39 +1000, you wrote:

>There are a few reviews beginning to appear.
>
>Dr Moose was 'underwhelmed' on Lokarnos. (Succinct and telling, but it
>leaves me wanting detail).
>
>The RPG.net topic has quickly descended into a discussion about dodge/parry
>rules and halving skills over 100 in multiple attacks. (Deja Vu? Nostalgia!
>Fear and trembling...)
>
>I'd love to hear folks' impressions. Brave new world or nostalgia-driven
>trivia for bookshelf collectors? (Or possibly, *gasp*, neither).
>
>I'm very interested in the new 2nd Age materials, but heck, I've got
>multiple, well-loved copies of RQ2 and 3. Is it worth upgrading the rule set?
>
>Cheers
>
>John

I think I'm with Dr Moose. The rules themselves are pretty anaemic.

But then rules almost always are. There are a few cases of groundbreaking WOW in recent rule sets, but most are just doing the same characters n combat stuff we've been reading about for 25 years. Longer in some cases.

The meat will come in the Glorantha 2nd Age book. Which looked nice. They didn't have it at Continuum, at least not in print, but there was a laptop with pdfs.