Re: Geography of Dragon Pass

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:46:00 +1200

At 11:35 p.m. 16/08/2006, you wrote:

> > The Heroes may see the Spike where Kerofin is now.
> > This will probably cause them some confusion.
>
>Yes, I should imagine it probably would. Why do you
>feel they would see it there, when AFAIK it was
>actually located where Magasta's Pool is now?

That it was located in Magasta's Pool is a common belief but one not shared by all gloranthans. In particular, the Holy Country believes

         The third deity which stirred to make a mountain
         was Harana Ilor, who we know now as a Goddess
         of Harmony. She sat upon a slope of the Spike,
         and reached out her right hand and invoked the
         power of Innocence. As a result of her desire,
         her mountain was inverted, and made instead a
         deep hole whose volume, say philosophers, exactly
         equalled the volume raised by the mountains that were
         made before. Later on this huge pit was filled by
         water and became known as the Pool of Serenity.

         Myth of the Month: Mountain Stories

The other three mountains are Mt Turos (in which Lake Oronin is now), Mt Nida to the west and the Second Dragon Mountain in the Shan Shan. All of which means that the Spike is where Kerofin is now.

Some echoes of this can be found in Heortling myth. Kodros Island (in Tarsh) is probably the Dueling Isle where Umath met Howling Void (Kos p61) and is for that reason where the Tarshite Kings duked it out (KoS p122).

Other lands will have their own ideas on where the Spike is. Pamaltela probably believes it to have been in Fonrit while the Vithela may believe the Spike was in Teleos.

--Peter Metcalfe