Re: Digest Number 286

From: Jeff <jeff.kyer_at_...>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 16:32:38 -0000

And anyone can take close combat techniques in character creation by either expending one of their 'list' ablities or adding '...stood with the fyrd' or any one of a number of phrases.

> >Bit of an empty threat if she cannot do anything to stop them. But
it does
> >show how she probably wishes she could.
> >
> I think the intent was to force them to injure/kill the healer if
they
> wanted to get to the warriors. Hardly honorable or socialy
acceptable.

Killing off Healers is probably considered bad form at the least -- I'd hate to get the etiphet "Womanslayer" or "Healerbane" -- might hurt my prospects for marriage.

> >Yes, RP is obviously a very important part of RPGs. Using a shield
well is
> >also not as easy as it may seem e.g. see The Deed of Paksenarrion
by Moon
> >for details.
> >
> If the purpose was to shame the others into holding the wall, the
action is
> more symbolic than useful.

Hey, it makes a great way to lend AP in combat -- and lets one use that 'incite vengeance' ability that seems to be stock-in-trade for the women. Vengeance is the perogative of the women.

> There is nothing stopping a healer or other ernaldan from taking
combat
> skill, as far as I can see. Maybe the character was a tomboy, or a
vengeful
> widow, or just decided that learning to fight would be a useful
skill. Of
> course, their magic will not generally back it up, but neither does
the
> majority of Orlanth subcults. A healer or steadwife probably has
almost as
> much need for combat skills as a farmer, after all.

True. "Repair stead" is not exactly a feat that is combat useful -- unless the broo are pulling the roof off to get at your family.

> On a related note, in TR they mention that in times of great need,
even the
> women join the fyrd. Dosen't that indicate that women should
recieve at
> least occaisional combat lessons? Or do they just act as warm
bodies?

Any woman who's going to join probably gets soem training -- probably from the clan's Vingans. At that point, a hero would put 'Fyrd Combat 12' on her character sheet for the expenditure of 1 HP.

While its not part of the standard Heortling female cultural keyword, anyone can take Close Combat (blahblah fighting) at 13 (keyword level) by merely noting it in their writeup or list...

Hope this helps,

Jeff