Re: Anyone like to Review Mongoose's Runquest?

From: danhalberd <dan_at_...>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 22:44:14 -0000

However the rule book is clear that two attack rolls are required in combat. Otherwise how can the combat tables on p50-51 work? The table gives the result of a failed attack vs a failed parry as 'attack succeeds normally'. The trigger event listed for a parry is a
successful close combat attack. If a parry is only triggered by a successful attack how can you have a result for a parry against a failed attack? Moreover two attack rolls are consistently made, one for the attack and one against the dodge/parry, in the combat example on p60-61. You've got to review the book you have. Its all pretty clear - they can issue a change to this but not a clarification.

> Low Dex AND Int (the determinants for the number of actions and
> reactions in combat) will make a very slow character and may well
lead
> to an unopposed attack, though you don't use up reactions (parries
or
> dodges) on failed attacks. Overall though if you are slow against a
> faster opponent, going head to hea is probably a stupid thing to
do.

All I was saying here is that as these stats are randomly generated they are going to be very important for the future of your character.

> You must make your own decisions, ofcourse. IMHO there are minor
> problems with MRQ but nothing to stop a game and much to recommend
in
> terms of smoothing out the old RQ rules and reducing the need to
look
> All rules need time to bed in. Some may be errata-ed or ditched by
the
> second print run. There is the RQ forum mentioned above, preview
PDFs
> on the Mongoose website. Go see for yourselves.
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave (who hasn't posted here since Nov '01. Wow)

I wasn't saying the system is especially bad. I don't think it is much worse than most game systems. I would rate it as worse than RQ2 and a bit better than RQ3. I think its worse than Basic Roleplaying and Pendragon. I wouldn't compare it with HeroQuest as its aims are very different. Most game systems IMO suffer from the fact that they break down at higher levels and RQ4 is no exception. I think it might work OK as long as the % chances are between about 40-70% but then RQ2 worked at that level too. I bought it to see what it was like anyway but I don't think it is clearly better than previous versions.