Re: When Was Orlanth Illuminated?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:46:50 +1200

Greg wrote:
>Peter comments:
> > Answered largely in ILH-2 p36 "Enlightenment", I think.
>
>Alas, I have no copy of that excellent tome present to refernce this!
         The ultimate goal of illumination is Enlightenment.  In this
         process the individuals separate souls are slowly merged.
         The exact mechanics of this are esoteric and descriptions
         vary. [...] Whatever the process, the individual essentially
         merges his individual being with the All, removing himself
         from the normal discernable world.  In game terms winning
         a contest against the All at 10W15 results in Enlightenment.
         An individual may continue to exist or at least appear to
         exist to other beings and exhibits two general characteristics.

         First their mere presence affects the area around them.  An
         enlightenment being radiates a calm and loving splendor which
         is ineffable and mysterious.  They are untouchable by any
         lesser being.  [...]

         Secondly, they will do nothing personally.  They will not
         respond to pathos, sympathy, grief or violence.  Nor will
         they respond to affection, desire, flattery or sacrifice.  In
         essence, an Enlightened being is removed from active
         play and becomes a Narrator character like any being who
         has learned the Great Secret of a Great God.

--Peter Metcalfe