Re: Gachi of Melib and Sacrifice?

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 15:19:33 +1200

Santo:

>I understand how magically potent human sacrifices are, but do the
>Gachi Gods accept other sacrifices?

If the Gachi have initiates and devotees then the answer is yes.

>Most theistic pantheons rely the sacrifice of animals and precious
>objects. The Orlanthi tend to favor personal devotion, the sacrifice
>of one's limited self to the deities' larger self.

All theistic pantheons do. The Orlanthi rely on sacrifices extensively to maintain the links between their gods and the community. Participation in the communal rituals and sacrifices is necessary for personal sacrifices to succeed. Perhaps some devotees can do without the communal rites but I fell the majority can't.

>Perhaps the Gachi need to sacrifice humans in order to reach their
>"dead" Blue/Artmali gods?

I think the Artmali Gods require human sacrifices as the price for continued contact with them. Whether they need it is a question that only a God Learner would ask.

>If so, the Lunars could have an
>interesting proposition for them. ("Worship our Blue Moon Goddesses!
>They are just like yours, but Healed from Terrible Sacrifice!")

He's going to have to persuade the Gachi that their existing gods are damaged in some way or another. If not handled well, the proposition could go down like a bucket of cold sick.

--Peter Metcalfe