Re: Digest Number 2552

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:48:57 +0000 (GMT)

Ian Cooper0208-672-0717(H)07970-411892 (M)

>>Their values are not those of simple clansfolk, or even of kings and godar. Heroes are to be feared as well as admired. In fact, in some instances and from some perspectives, heroes are the *real* monsters of Glorantha, all
the more frightening for their apparent humanity, utterly resolute in the pursuit of their ideals, destroying entire peoples in order to save them.<<

It seems to me that this is what Agrath's saga (and Arkat saga Loko Moko or or even Anakin Skywalker's saga) is about. The hero becomes the emperor. Maybe we will convince Greg to give us the 'Boy Argrath' book he and Rick have discussed. I'd buy it.

>>It seems that the values of heroes are such that they are not shared by the vast majority of their people, nor by the players who guide their lives in campaigns. In this sense, they become unplayable. <<
But for every Arkat there is a Talor or Humakt. (For every Frodo a Sam, every Elric a Moonglum). Our stories recognize that some understand the limit, step back from the brink, and keep their humanity. Love seems to be what saves them.

>So how do we deal with this dark heart of herodom?
Mechanically could be an issue. I fear the emergence of 'dark side points'. But I suspect most games are able to pose the question of 'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' well. The trick is always to force the hero to choose, between two evils, so that he is damned even if he takes the latter. The only escape is to walk away.

>What about the person who takes on the burden of herodom, but turns back from the brink to preserve human values and lives?
Talor, Harmast, Lokomyadon at the end perhaps.