Re: 100 words for Ernaldans

From: ian_hammond_cooper_at_...
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 17:22:36 -0000

bethexton wrote:
> This is a bit of what puzzled me about the complaints about limited
> female roles in TR. Don't get me wrong, I would like to have seen
> some more heroic (note, not necessarily combat related) sub-cults,
> but as it is....."after his death, she took up her father's iron
> sword and chain byrnie." combined with assigning one of the 1W
levels to close combat would let any Ernaldan of whatever background stand up to most any other starting character in combat.

Also Hero Wars always let you take create followers and allies. Your follower may have the combat skills, consider an Ernaldan character who follows Enferalda the Supporter, and has warriors who she 'supports'*. Entarios whose picture/biog is in TR, is a heroic example of this role. In fact this applies to any other subcults if we assume that the Ernaldan is significant enough to have followers: and Esran (or Orane or Pela) merchant, an Orventili negotiator (remember all thse expiditions you send out to nearby clans in KoDP), a Kev dishthane (most dishthane's are female, Kev seems like an appropriate and scary diety), as well as an of the healers. Those bodyguards (doorthanes?)give you the ability to have useful noncombat  skills as well as roll your dice in fights. A wide selection of followers might give you a range of people to draw on for aid in violent situations. Playing characters who are at the nexus of a web of social interactions often gives you more versatlity.

And if followers seem to weak, how about allies?

Charles's Issaries merchant often has more options than Bruce and I have with our warriors, who really have to improvise in non-combat situations.

True if your game just focuses on combat, these options are not going to help you, but they are there now if you want to widen the type of episode you run.

Ian
*no supports id not subordinate - don't even go there.