Re: Clarification about 'Friends of Glorantha'

From: Manuel MOLINIER <astaroth.maillist_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 14:25:34 +0200

I think the key is to have something "stand alone" and that allow to start from "what you said ? Glorantha ?" and discover a world that has produced 25 years of discussion, debate and common creation. It might loose the Glorantha fans but I see it the only way to reach wide audience.

If the book is as "arcane" as was KoS (which I discovered at 14-15) I think it will not reach top sale in shops.

this was my 50 cents point of view to the subject as a Fantasy reader.

Manuel

  janewilliams20_at_... wrote:
> This sounds good, but I have to say I'm surprised. I
> thought Those Wot Know had told us that Gloranthan
> fiction was a niche within a niche within a niche, and
> generally didn't sell. "A Widow's Tale" for instance -
> very good story, but apparently didn't sell too well.
> Same with "Griselda". If a way round this has been
> found, that's certainly good news.

  The "way around" is to send it to a mainstream publisher. This worked to an extent for Tekumel in that two novels went out through that route (_Man of Gold_ and _Flamesong_). Hopefully the Glorantha novel will do a bit better than that.