Re: too many forums--damn right.

From: Charles Corrigan <charles_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 16:09:27 -0000

> Wouldn't it be nice if issaries.com could become the
> source for the equivalent of all these:
> heroquest-RPG
> heroquest-rules
> glorantha3d
> gloranthacon
> Engiziland
> GloranthanInternetGaming
> GlorWar
> pavisawakes
> sartar_rising
> http://lokarnos.com/
> http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?f=13
> Rass Game Discussions at
> http://differentcomputers.com/differentgames/index.php
> Rass Game Summaries at
> http://differentcomputers.com/differentgames/summaries/
> and the Glorantha Digest?
>
> If they were all in one place, they would benefit each
> other, adding energy, crosslinking
> and unexpected emergent online behavior.
>
> Imagine if Issaries ran a blog system and encouraged
> HQ gamers and refs to post their
> game stuff on the Issaries site.
>
> That would be something. There might even be some
> AdWords revenue in there for
> Issaries.
>
> Is there another game company out there doing anything like this?

As someone (one of several) that have looked into this several times, I can tell you is that there is _nothing_, or at least nothing reasonably priced, that remotely compares to Yahoo groups(*). There is a choice of web-forums or mailing lists. Some people will only subscribe to mailing lists and refuse to touch web-forums. Some people love web-forums and think that mailing lists are a waste of space. Many people like the flexibilty of having both integrated, never mind the daily digests, the file space for photos/files etc., the possibility of an RSS feed (requires opening the archives to the public/non-members)

regards
Charles