RE: Re: ILH-2 status, the natives are becoming restless

From: Mike Holmes <mike_c_holmes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 11:47:55 -0500

>From: "Tim Ellis" <tim_at_...>
>
>I'm slightly uneasy by the last sentance
>quoted above, as it seems to be the opposite way to the way I
>understand the RPG market normally working (but I freely admit to
>having no professional or insider knowledge, so please feel free to
>correct my misconceptions...) As I understand it, rightly or wrongly,
>Games stores tend to rely on the distributors informing them that a
>new game has come into stock before ordering it.

I think that's likely what Rick is saying. His fulfilment house probably is in the process of making FLGS aware of it, possibly as part of their catalogue. That said, FLGS do a lot of picking and choosing, and what I think Rick is saying is that it helps to get the FLGS to order the product if somebody comes in and asks for it. So that the FLGS will, then, go and order it.

Now as to whether or not Impressions is doing a good job of it marketing Rick's stuff, well, who knows. If it's just a listing in a catalogue that nobody has ever heard of, well, that's just going to require some more work before it gets out there. Issaries was never a first line seller in FLGS, and now that these products are coming from Moon Designs, that's even a less well known publisher. So it's likely that it'll be a while until FLGS notice something like this in a catalogue on their own.

I did my part, and asked for it at my FLGS, and, now that I know the fulfillment house, I'll ask again and mention that. As you say, Tim, doing this is good for supporting the game system as a whole. The fulfilment house may eventually get the message through to the FLGSs, but there's no reason we can't help that process along.

Mike