Re: Female characters and players

From: TTrotsky_at_...
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 18:00:52 EST

Andrew Barton:

<< Some quick points:

 Thunder Rebels as a whole does an excellent job of supporting strong female characters. However, picking the book up and following the sections labelled 'I'm New Here' does -not- give that impression - partly because the recommended route skips over the discussion on 'Orlanthi all equals 85%'.>>

      I won't argue with you on that point, certainly.

<< We've had lots of men saying that we don't need to allow female characters to be fighters to let them be strong. My experience of the choices female players make for themselves (out of a sample of about twenty, many playing more than one character) is that they choose to play (female) fighters much more often than men do, leaving the men to play the magicians, merchants, healers, orators and such. >>

     Its true that my sample of female players is a good deal smaller than yours but I've *never* known one of them play a fighter, and I gamed with some of them for a long time, and with several different characters. Which, of course, doesn't prove anything except that generalisations don't always apply :-)

Trotsky