RE: Pol Joni Magic

From: donald_at_...
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 01:52:47 GMT

In message <BAY110-F38FFCBAB79ED67E8619B3DA8ED0_at_...> "Mike Holmes" writes:

>Contrary to what the other poster wrote, the Praxians themselves apparently
>worship an entity called "Sword Man" that is missapplied worship of Humakt.
>That's from MOLAD, IIRC? Anyhow, that seems to imply, at least, that the
>animist worship of theistic Orlanthi dieties is misapplied.

Agreed, Sword Man is a very specific case we know about. What I don't think likely is that a tribe of Sartar would adopt an animistic version of their religion just because they become nomadic. Misidentifying a foreign god as a spirit is, by comparison, an easy mistake to make.

>On the other hand, I think that the idea of misapplied worship is
>interesting in it's own way. I'm just not sure it fits in with the idea
>of a Gloranatha that is somewhat redactable with heroquests and such
>(note "somewhat"). Just a personal aesthetic thing.

I'll agree the idea is interesting but it's not common. It seems to appear where unusual conditions exist. In the case of Sword Man that's a animistic society encountering a strange foreign being. In the case of the Aeolians it appears to be the merging of Heortling theism with Malkioi practices.

>It seems to me that if any entity is universal, that it should be the one
>that lead the fight against Chaos, which most all peoples seem to have as
>part of the myth that starts time.

There was a big row when HW was first published about misapplied worship and one of the results was that Urox/Storm Bull was both a God and Great Spirit. No one suggested he was also a Saint. Remember he is the uncouth berserk chaos fighter who is barely part of society, not a respected pillar of society. I'm sure the Malkioni have a Saint who is a noted chaos fighter although I understand they tend to classify chaos with non-humans and call them all Kralji.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/