Starting a group...

From: Gary Sturgess <gazza666_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:56:45 +0800

I haven't found much in the way of reviews for the latest HeroQuest stuff, and I'd like to canvas some opinions here.

A bit of background: my group are a bunch of unapologetic power gamers
(most definitely including yours truly) that have primarily played D&D
in the past (though also Shadowrun, various White Wolf nonsense, Champions, Traveller, and probably one or two others). Our experiments with RuneQuest and HeroWars were very brief (largely because the GM - me - didn't do a particularly good job of translating my interest in Glorantha into something compelling).

But there is light at the end of the tunnel - one of the players is intrigued enough to try running a RuneQuest game, and I've been given the go ahead to try a HeroQuest game. Since the other guy is going to be running something Prax/Sartar based (the old Sun County and River of Cradles stuff will probably get a look in), I figured I'd try Lunars.

Now, I'm a Gloranthan novice by the standards of mailing lists; I own
(and have read) most of the RQ2 and 3 stuff, King of Sartar, and so
on; I own (but have not yet read) most of the current HeroQuest supplements.

Given that:
a) Not only the players but the GM will be HeroQuest novices.

b) The group will want to play powerful characters (not necessarily Heroes at the start, but not the "stickpicker" level - I personally don't mind that, but I know my group).

c) The little Gloranthan exposure any of us have previously had has been Orlanthi in Prax or Sartar.

d) The campaign will likely be run no more often than 1 3-4 hour session per month (we play LOTS of games). So I'll need something ideally with bite sized chunks; adventures that take several sessions to play are fine, but they need to have reasonable break points.

What should we look for in terms of published adventures? I don't like the idea of making my players read the Lunar handbook before play, either; anyone have any suggestions for a brief summary that will at least kick us off into the "create-as-you-go" character generation?

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

--
GAZZA