Re: Re: Starting a group...

From: Gary Sturgess <gazza666_at_...>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 09:55:01 +0800

Wow, thanks everyone! Lots of great advice there.

Rather than quote and respond to you all individually (which would be a long, boring, message that I won't trouble you with), let me respond in a general fashion.

I note some caution about my description of the players as power gamers; I may have to be a bit more precise here. By "power gamer" I mean merely that the players (and myself) like to have important, powerful PCs. I do not consider this to be in any way "roll-playing"; many of us entered the hobby through some hook like, "You can be Aragorn/Fafhrd/Elric/King Arthur/Kimball Kinnison/Conan!" The desire to be powerful doesn't automatically make you a munchkin, any more than the reverse automatically makes you a superior roleplayer. I grant you that the powergamer/munchkin crossover is considerable, but the latter is a PROPER subset of the former, I promise you. :)

Now, having said that, I really do like the idea of creating a bunch of steads and going that way. My reservations are as follows:

But given that our RQ dudes are starting at Rune Level (using Nikk Effingham's excellent character generation rules), it occurs to me that if I use stead level guys with more of a focus on how they relate to the clan, that could be "sufficiently different" as well. And in fact I actually have something I downloaded ages ago for a RQ game with a similar theme that I'm sure I could adapt (from the Shattered Norns pages, I think).

I think you've convinced me to give it a bash. Thanks!

Oh, and incidentally, Rob, if you're anywhere near Perth Western Australia, you're WELCOME to play. ;) Otherwise I suspect it will be a long commute.