Re: Re: Starting a group...

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:42:46 GMT

In message <9ebd81400612061755u1fb42533j20bd3a19e6a81dd6_at_...> "Gary Sturgess" writes:

>Now, having said that, I really do like the idea of creating a bunch of
>steads and going that way. My reservations are as follows:
>
>- I really like the "HeroQuesting" aspect of HeroQuest. While I'm aware that
>there are practice run quests and the like, these don't strike me as the
>sort of thing that captured my interest in the first place. As far as I am
>aware, for most heavy duty HeroQuesting you'd best be a fairly powerful
>individual with quite a lot of support to have much of a chance, especially
>given that I understand that the official stance is you can only attempt a
>"real" HeroQuest once.

There'll be an opportunity for a heroquest in the second session in my game. Driven by NPC wishes but some of the PCs will probably be the centre of the action. It's a "safe" type of HQ in that the community know its stations and what you are supposed to do at each one. It's fairly low level as HQs go and there's loads of community support because the community benefits from the successful completion. The PCs benefit as well but mainly in the relationships they establish.

>- The other GM in the group (who's going to be running RuneQuest) is going
>to be running a group of Orlanthi. I'm somewhat hesitant to "play in the
>same pen", as it were, since it would invite comparisons that would
>inevitably lead to one or other of the games being dropped in favour of the
>other. (And while I'm very intrigued to give HeroQuest a shot, I really like
>RuneQuest as well). I imagined that playing Lunars would be sufficiently
>different.

I'd missed the Lunar bit in your original post, sorry.

You can do the same sort of thing with a bunch of new army officers arriving at their units in the garrison at Boldhome or Pavis or Karse. Barbarian Adventures gives info on several units and there's bits of stuff as well as the Lunar homeland keywords in ILH1 as well. Get them to choose a unit and write a couple of sentences on why the character joined the army and that particular unit. The NPCs you want to start with are the unit commanders and senior NCOs plus any others you want for plots.

The reason you want to start at a relatively low level is that the characters are fairly ignorant of the world so you don't have to spend loads of time agreeing background. A junior officer fresh from the Heartlands won't know what's going on, an experienced commander usually will. Similarly a youngster won't know clan politics whereas an older member will.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/