Re: Another historical period to mine for ideas

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 16:45:14 -0800

> More seriously (doesn't take much doing), this new
> historical period: got any useful references for those
> of us who know nothing about the subject?

The '20's in China saw the rising-up of numerous warlords after the breakdown of the Imperial government. Resentment against the "Western powers" (US, Britain, France and Japan - Germany had lost its Chinese holdings after the war, and Russia after the Revolution). The Rise of the Chinese communists, Sun yat-Sen, Chiang Kai-shek, Mao Zedong, etc. Wikipedia has a number of articles, you might start at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_Civil_War.

If we put the Lunars in the place of the "Western Powers" they are trying to save missionaries and business interests, evacuating where they cannot stand firm. The various Argraths become the warlords, Kuomintang, Chinese Communist Party, etc. The Soviet Union was a sponsor of both the KMT and CCP, until they fell out. The part of the USSR can be taken by Esrolia, the Grazers, Tarsh, or any "outside" party that might be interested. Banditry is rife, with "bandits" and "Warlord troops" being virtually indistinguishable.

Plenty of backstabbing, marching and countermarching, fire and fury. It's not the way KoS describes the era, but may be more fun :-).

RR