Re: Band of Brothers/Sisters/Siblings?

From: Sam Elliot <sam.elliot1_at_...>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:10:14 -0000

> And then there's Paul's game, Sam. You know, where we're all
apprentices from Syran wizardry schools. That's a pretty tight, no? I didn't see any of us saying, "man, I wanted to play a Kraorelan monk!"

Dīoh!!!
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to say that - I love those moments.

> You can only propose it and see if they like the idea. I think
that it should always be a collaboration on what to play. Maybe it turns out that we play all Vingans today. But, that said, if you have a vision and present it, there's no reason that it can't be infectious.

Agreed that people need to buy into it, I doubt itīll happen by chance. Infectious is, I guess, the nail being hit.

>There is
>also that thing about finding a niche (Oh, thereīs no cleric? Okay,
>Iīll be a cleric, you know the stuff).

> I think that HQ has this problem licked. That is, we have two
Heortling Warrior Humakti. The first has as his relationship with the clan "Banished by Clan" and another has "Beloved by the Clan."

Absolutely, and thatīs why I so much like the idea of having much the same keywords. They are some of those limitations which you like to point out can foster creativity.

> Niche in HQ in the games I've played has been all about the
character's personal issues, not what powers they have.

It still comes up quite a bit. With the game Rory set up, there were good reasons for the niches, an expedition being mounted, so they make sense. Elsewhere, I think a lot of people do still think in terms of the multi-legged party monster. I like the idea that the party monster has one leg - it is less stable :)

Sam.