Re: Re: Band of Brothers/Sisters/Siblings?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 21:50:44 GMT

In message <emet7m+s98q_at_...> "Sam Elliot" writes:
>--- In HeroQuest-RPG_at_yahoogroups.com, "Mike Holmes"=20
><mike_c_holmes_at_...> wrote:

>>There is
>>also that thing about finding a niche (Oh, there's no cleric? Okay,
>>I'll be a cleric, you know the stuff).

>> Niche in HQ in the games I've played has been all about the
>>character's personal issues, not what powers they have.
>
>It still comes up quite a bit. With the game Rory set up, there were
>good reasons for the niches, an expedition being mounted, so they
>make sense. Elsewhere, I think a lot of people do still think in
>terms of the multi-legged party monster. I like the idea that the
>party monster has one leg - it is less stable :)

Is this a perception issue in that players think "We need X in the party so I'd better take that rather than what I really wanted to play."?

HQ does away with the problem because you can always add a follower and if not the narrator creates the required NPC.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/