Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 13:48:43 GMT

In message <20061230114424.50322.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:
>--- Raymond Turney <raymond_turney_at_...> wrote:

>> What is ideal, of course, is to perform deeds so
>> great that bards sing of them; then people have
>> independent confirmation that you're tough.
>
>I wonder to what extent inflation is expected of
>bards? There are different categories of bard, too,
>High and Low (not that I've looked into the details
>recently).

It's High and Low entertainers. Bards are high entertainers expected to compose and recite verse to provide information. They are expected to tell the truth but will select which bits of the truth depending on the audience. That's what makes them so dangerous, there are few people in political positions who haven't done something that will embarass them.

>Oh, yes! Over in the Rules list, we were talking about
>the difference between an ability in hitting things
>and an ability called "undeserved reputation as a
>fighter", acquired by good dice rolls and HP spend
>against a much tougher opponent. That ability is
>mainly a flaw. Well, it is the way I use it, anyway :)

Then there's a certain story character who has one good ability "Appear Heroic". He doesn't boast but his clan tell all sorts of stories about his achievements. The clan believe them and he doesn't contradict them.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/