Re: Orlanthi Boasting

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 14:34:20 GMT

In message <20061230092026.78845.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>Mike:
>> > Presentation is everything.
>
>Greg:
>> Actually, fact is everything.
>> Presentation can add color, and perhaps some spin,
>> but to alter the truth is diminishing.
>
>And other good examples snipped: but it sounds more
>and more as if "boasting" is the wrong word for this.
>Not that I can think of a better one, but this is
>something that *is* socially acceptable and *doesn't*
>involve exaggeration, unlike boasting, which isn't and
>does.

There's actually nothing in the dictionary definitions of boasting which requires exaggeration. Arrogance and conceit yes, but they are socially acceptable in Orlanthi society. I think we must be imposing our social values which say that if someone praises themselves they must be exaggerating if not lying.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/