Re: What's a Keyword?

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 00:23:45 GMT

In message <BAY110-F29508861E3C1C70A1901BFA8B00_at_...> "Mike Holmes" writes:

>Where it becomes hard to figure out whether to draw the line is with things
>like this:
>
>"Well, my character, in being a diplomat, has had to learn several
>languages."

Doesn't sound typical of many diplomats. I'd allow one foreign language which is typically taught in the country. Which may not be related to any of the places they've served. In Glorantha that would be either Tradetalk or New Pelorian. After all the diplomat keyword for the British Empire would have French and possibly Latin.

Of course if you have a world where diplomats usually learn all the languages they encounter then fine.

>I mean, the traveler keyword is tailored to the languages and cultures
>that the character has actually encountered. So it seems that some
>sorts of keywords can be tailored to this level. So do you allow it?

Where is the traveller keyword? The rules use "Widely Travelled" as an example of a over-broad ability.

>I go back and forth at this level. Basically I try to ensure that the
>player is trying to use some criteria themselves for what goes in, and
>what does not.

My criteria is very simple - does the keyword fit the world and particular culture in that world.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/