Re: Diplomats

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:12:36 GMT

In message <20070114072938.79520.qmail_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>Which is all very well when there *is* a standard
>diplomatic language, but in Glorantha, the nearest
>we've got to that is Tradetalk.

Which has its limitations as a diplomatic language. The other alternative is New Pelorian which is already in use for that purpose across the Lunar Empire. A Tarshite will communicate with a Carmenian in that language. It's not hard to imagine the diplomats of neighbouring countries learning the language to communicate with the Lunars and then finding it useful to communicate with others.

>Actually, looking at how her ability to learn
>languages appears to me, maybe it's a magical
>Affinity?

Probably - see Etyries Communicator in ILH2. However diplomats are rarely appointed for their communication abilities. Probably the key requirement is understanding and supporting their home country's interests. Or often the interests of the rulers of the country.

>> The time to learn is one of the things we seem to be
>> forgetting when we add skills to character sheets.
>> The skills obtained from the Homeland, Occupation and
>> Magic keywords represent learning from childhood up
>> to the game start.
>
>Depending on the occupation. If its one you can pick
>up as a child, preferably from your parents, then yes.

If not, it isn't a starting occupation. Not that I can think of many which couldn't be learnt as a child. More are restricted because a child wouldn't be allowed the opportunity to learn them.

>It's a good point. I do like to look at keyword levels
>and compare them to "how long have you done the job?"
>and a PC timeline. The correlation only needs to be
>vague, but it helps, and can add story. "If you've
>been with the unit ten years, you were with us for
>1611, and 1613. How did you get on?"

Yes, if we use the advanced experience and multiple occupations sections in HQ. If we then assume that a second keyword at 9 represents one years experience, 13 represents three years and 17 represents five years. That gives us a pretty good idea of the minimum age for the character.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/