Re: Gloranthian LARP: new season 2007

From: L.Castellucci <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 02:10:03 -0500

On January 15, 2007 01:48 am, Jane Williams wrote:

> Oh, wow! Dragon Pass winter for real!

Except my Montrealer friends have been saying it hasn't been a proper cold and snowy Quebec winter, sadly. :(

> > It will be a
> > guerilla war. In the dark wood, with a lot of snow
> > the mouvement
> > will be very limited, (ski and snow-raquette will be
> > nesesary!!)
>
> Snowshoes?

Yup, raquette is snowshoes.

> You really know how to use them up there?

Some people do.

> What advantages do they have over skis? (Not that I
> know how to use those, either, but at least I've seen
> pictures).

If I remember from friends who are more winter-oriented, the main one is having your hands free. While you sometimes use poles, they are not as necessary as they are with skis. Also, you are able to move on deeper, looser snowdrifts than with skis. (My friends would snowshoe to somewhere they could then ski.)

That's about all I remember.

LC