Re: What's a Keyword?

From: Andrew Dawson <asmpd01_at_...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 14:23:18 -0600

On 1/15/07, Greg Stafford <Greg_at_...> wrote:
> I'd prefer to just change Farming to Rural in the [Heortling] Cultural Keyword.

That works. I'd probably let city dwellers have "Urban" then.

> PolJoni Homeland Keyword
> Occupations Available:Cavalry Soldier (weapon thanes), Entertainer,
> Healer, Nomad, Petty Noble
> Native Abilities: Dragon Pass Geography, Prax Geography, JonP{oli
> Customs, Speak Sartarite, Speak Praxian, Wilderness Survival
> Men Only--Lance or Bow; and Sword Combat
> Women Only--Childrearing
> Typical Personality: Fear Dragons, Hate Chaos, Hate Lunars
> Typical Relationships: to Ancestors, to Clan, to Temple
> Magic: Common Magic, Storm Pantheon

Thanks for the keyword. It contains some implicit details that I hadn't considered, such as a lack of a universal Riding ability, implying that some Pol Joni aren't nomadic (or maybe they just have a Ride rating of 6). Are these the equivalent of Prax's "Oasis Folk" for the Pol Joni?

Also, I wonder about the lack of Farmers or Hunters (only nomads are "producers"). I would just add Hunters, but is Farmer a rare occupation among the Pol Joni?

Should there be a typical personality trait toward the Praxians? Some sort of rivalry perhaps?

[snip subcultury stuff]
> Yes. If yu wish to have such dificulties in your campaign, then this
> is a suitable solution.

In my current game, the Tarshites think the Sartarites (Heortlings) are ignorant and backwards country cousins, so such differences in customs and language are significant enough to be mentioned in play. (From my American PoV, the Tarshite/Sartarite relationship is like an historical English/Scottish thing.) I know there are bigger differences given the Heortling/Alakoring differences, but I think those two cultures are close, especially given the historical overlordship of Tarsh over the Satari. It's a MGWV thing.

Thanks,
Andy