One Augment per Keyword?

From: Ian Cooper <ian_hammond_cooper_at_...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:56:36 -0000

Does anyone have a page reference for this one as I'm not sure that this is a rule in HeroQuest.

In Hero Wars we had a limit of one mundane augment and any number of magical augments.

In HeroQuest this changed to:

"You can augment with any number of mundane or magical abilities, if
they are appropriate and the narrator agrees. You may only use a particular ability to augment another once during a single round. Thus, you cannot use Strong twice to augment Sword Fighting, and magical abilities often have limitations on stacking (see "Stacking Magic" in the Basic Magic chapter, page 101)." p.79

You can read the stacking magic limitations yourselves, but there is nothing about keywords or broad abilities having limits on augmenting. I think that people are confusing the restrictions on augmenting with multiple feats from the same affinity here:

"However, because feats learned as part of an affinity are not distinct
abilities, a hero can only augment another ability with one of an affinity's feats at a time." p.120

Now I can understand that the concern is that if keywords are 'inclusive of' but not 'exclusive to' the set of abilities listed then what stops the mini-maxer suggesting an endless number of abilities he ought to have to augment with:

"If your hero has a keyword, he has all of the abilities detailed in
it. Even abilities not listed in these rules under a keyword can be used at the keyword rating, if the narrator agrees."

Personally I think the advice for augmentation that an ability is 'appropriate and narrator agrees' and for keywords if 'the narrator agrees' are all you need. Only allow augments that you are happy show us something new about how that hero would be able to excel in the circumstances. Want to augment with your Brave and your Courageous, they are both the same, so no. Want to augment with your Brave and Fought the Telmori Many Times sure. There is always an element here of style, what works for one group may not for others. And I think that it is good that the rules leave it to each narrator to find the line that works for them. I expect I am more generous than Greg with augments. that is not a rules issue, it is a style issue.

BTW I like the house rule that allows you to turn a repeat into a +3 to the ability. So if you have courageous in your 100 words and in your warrior keyword it acts as a +3.